Translate

Monday 19 February 2018

Happy Birthday



This card came together at 5am this morning. There is nothing like when you go to bed with an idea bubbling around in your head and you haven't played it out. Bad idea really, for me anyway, it ends up disturbing my sleep too much and I should have made myself get up at 1am and make the card just to get the rest of the night. But no, I kept thinking I'm too tired, give it a miss this week.

We were setting off for a weeks holiday camping in the morning so no time for last minute card making. But if you know me then you know I love last minute so I gave up at 4.30 made myself a coffee, woke up fully then made the card to go with the mermaid I had coloured during the 30 Day Colouring Challenge so really not a lot to do, it was just a matter of deciding which idea to go with.

Now of course the Camper Van is parked, we are all set up, Elysha has been for a walk to the river and then the beach. Jake has introduced himself to all the other little dogs in the park (lots of dogs with little dog syndrome), we are onto our second ciders, and yes its started to rain. Ohhh my the Walkers are on holidays!!!!!

Now onto the card.
I wanted to take part in the Muse Card Challenge and time of course is running out but thats part of the fun. Ohhhh I love the inspiration card again this week.

This week its Tracey McNeely and I just love her card. The soft bending, the water flicks. The cute little critter with the heart and the sentiment all appealed to me.

I was very tempted to go with the blue and green Distress Oxide as I do so love this stuff but I also  had another idea. I used an acetate oval stencil I made on my Scan N Cut to mask my cardstock then I blended half blue and half mauve Distress Inks to go with my Mermaid. Very soft blending like Tracey's card.





I had cut out the Mermaid and rock (MFT) and Fish (Stamping Bella) also with the Scan N Cut. They are all coloured with copics, I added a little bit of glitter on the scales and some Wink of Stella in her hair. The Wink of Stella looks more like dandruff in her hair, you can hardly see it. You will just have to believe me when I say it does sparkle.



 For the sentiment rather than embossing I decided to die cut and I did that from Green/Blue glitter paper. My mermaid is attached to the single layer card and I did do some water flicks but I need to work on that skill as they just don't show up here at all.

Time to link up before I use up all my download time on my phone.  

Challenges:










I love using Die Cut sentiments, either glued on or set into the card. I think they add class and style to the card and best of all they are less likely to stuff up my card than a stamped sentiment. I have a terrible habit of ruining finished cards with stamped sentiments or smudged ink so I love die cuts plus there are so many now available to choose from (probably too many now!!).



Thanks so much for coming to visit and I hope you come again soon.



10 comments:

lostinpaper said...

The rain won't matter if you have ciders (wink). Hope you have a wonderful holiday, I'm sure this little mermaid will be watching!

Elaine Stark said...

Lovely cards, have a great time away. Thanks for joining AYLI challlenge. Elaine

Vicki Dutcher said...

Super cute coloring on your mermaid super fun bday card too! I am really wanting a scan and cut I might be contacting u with some qustions..... thanks for joining in at STB and have fun camping! 😊

Lindsey said...

Your colouring and ink blending are gorgeous! A beautiful card. Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday!

Marilyn said...

Love all the detail in your card, Aileen. The blue and mauve background is perfect.

Karren said...

Super cute card, Aileen! I love the way you've coloured that sweet mermaid.

Bobby said...

Your little mermaid is so cute sitting there on your wonderful inked background, Aileen.

TaeEun said...

This is a lovely birthday card !!! The background colors and the sparkling tail of the little mermaid are fabulous!!!

Ruth said...

I love it! And I love that it annoyed you so much you had to get up and make it. I can tell it's really sparkly in real life. Just love the whole scene and I love the little sea creatures too. Great job! Hope the holiday is going well despite the rain! xxx

Cara said...

Fantastic card, genius touch to add the glitter to the scales. Glad it's not just me that has card ideas rampaging through my head when I'm trying to sleep! Hope you survive the camping x