Translate

Monday 6 June 2016

Love my DAD



I've made two cards, just have to decide which one to give dad, the red or the blue. Theres plenty of time to decide because in Australia its not Fathers Day till September.
 Coloured with Copics, these are digital images from Tiddy Inks and this is the first time I have inked them up. Don't know why, cause they really are nice and colour up perfectly. I'm particularly pleased with the colouring of the tyres that I have managed to emphasise the light on the tires and the metal of the rims.


I decided to cut the panel slightly smaller than the card front so I could put a layer of patterned paper on the card base. I tried to pick paper that was representative of the cars time line. So the red paper is a distressed look.


This paper is old palings on a fence. This type of truck on the farm in Australia is called a Ute, great for carting the family around and loading feed or hay in the back. If you look closely

at the old farm truck you can see what was called the running boards along under where the doors open. This meant you had a step down to get out of the truck and a step up to get into the truck or to get to stuff in the back of the ute. I used this because my dad has dementia and most of what he talks about now is from his past and days on the farmers a child/young man. 

One story he loves to tell me is that he always got sick in the truck (car sickness) so when they went into town from the farm his dad would let him stand on the running board, holding on for dear life to the window post, as they went over the rough tracks and pot holes into town. The rest of the family were all crammed into the truck and the back of the truck, excited about their visit to town. 
I look at photos of my dad, who was a little tyke and I'm amazed he managed to hang on as they made their way to town. 
I'm hoping this will bring a smile to his face.

Challenges





unable to find an image to represent the blog.









Thank you so much for coming to visit and I hope you come again soon.

Now if you want to look further

I thought I would finish my post with some shots of the Vivid festival that is currently going
 on in Sydney. This is a yearly event and spectacular to see.

Even Doctor Who is represented.



Could the Opera House be any 
more beautiful. Constantly changing



 A view of the Harbour. You can see some of the areas that are lit up.


20 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh wow! Those photos of Sydney are amazing!! I do love a good light display. Love those Utes - beautifully coloured. I particularly like the red and you have done well on the tyres - look very realistic! Xx

Karen Dunbrook said...

stunning pics...
Great cards, so good for the guy in your life!

lostinpaper said...

I know your father will love it, these are both great cards! ps I have no idea how he hung on either.... maybe because the other option wasn't so good lol.

TaeEun said...

The digital image of Ute in sketched look is so awesome and your coloring too! Love your choice of the pattern papers to back the panel! I hope I could see that night scene of Sydney IRL some day! Beautiful!

Marybeth said...

These are amazing, love the truck in both colors and the story about your dad. Thanks for sharing those awesome pictures!
I always forget its warm my you in Dec.

Anita in France said...

What a great post, Aileen ... loved the story of your Dad hanging on to the ute! Both your cards are fantastic ... so beautifully coloured and shaded ... how special to give to your Dad to bring back that wonderful memory! Stunning photo's of Sydney ... wondering about a card inspired by the middle one of the Opera House! Hugs, Anita :)

Mac Mable said...

Loved reading your post today. Such happy memories of the family and fabulous photos of Sydney. Both cards are gorgeous and so very personal. Thanks for sharing x

Claire Broadwater said...

Aileen, I just love your truck card and the story about your Daddy. That is priceless! I wish I had a truck just like that in turquoise! Your dad will love this card. I enjoyed your gorgeous photos of the festival. Such a beautiful site! So happy you joined my theme challenge at The Paper Players this week! XX

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Both cards are spectacular and perfect for your Dad regarding his childhood memories, I'm sure he will love either one. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photo's too of the festival - looks very exciting.
Lorraine

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

That truck looks great in any color! Spectacular photos - you are in Sydney???? BTW - you won (I think its you), thought you'd like to know: http://desertdiva-hannelie.blogspot.ae/2016/06/casology-sunshine.html

Tamie said...

I love this truck! It is perfect for the truck loving dad. Your colors you used are awesome too. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful creation with us at 4 Crafty Chicks Masculine Challenge.

Tamie DT

Di said...

Hi Aileen! Thank you so much for your lovely comments - to be honest, I think me managing to line up the squares so well was a bit of a fluke :)

I love your Father's Day cards - how to choose which one to give to your Dad? And the tale about him hanging on for dear life is lovely! :)

Hugs

Di xx

Cara said...

Fab cards and I love the link to your Dad's childhood. The photos are stunning, particularly the ones of the opera house. Cara x

Pop's Cards said...

Good morning sweetie, these are simply stunning :0)

Amazing photos they llok so colourful

Hugs Pops x x x

I Card Everyone said...

Aileen, I LOve your cards and, even more, your reason for making them. How absolutely sweet to remind your Dad of a happy time - standing on the running board was undoubtedly a thrill, and a scare at the same time! Bless your sweet heart ... xxx [I'm seeing lots of extra detailing - fabulous!]
=]

maria f. said...

Where to start? Those trucks. Your coloring. Absolutely beautiful. I must say I fancy the blue one for some reason. Looks great with the contrasting PP frame too. Your Dad will be so touched. And those Sydney photos. Whoa. I've never been there, but must keep this time of year in mind cuz it would be so amazing to see the opera house like that. Thanks so much for sharing the pics.

Helen said...

Great card.

Thanks for joining us at Cute Card Thursday.

Helen x

Barb Ghig said...

Your Copic coloring is amazing, Aileen! I can't even choose a fave between the red and blue car...they're both fabulous!
Thanks for sharing the festival photos with us...the colors are just beautiful!!!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Both your cards are great Aileen - I'd find it difficult to choose between the two! Amazing photos of Sydney too. Thanks for joining us over at The Paper Players!

Jo said...

Fabulous cards, great image. Thanks for joining us over at Crafty Calendar this month & good luck!
hugs Jo x
Dt