Translate

Thursday 25 February 2016

You Are Amazing. Remember That.


I know, I know, I am posting again. I thought I would share how I did this card, its just a photo tutorial and I hope I took photos of the most important steps so its easy to understand. So the post itself is photo heavy and hopefully enjoyable.
To start with I have to say this is not my idea I have seen this type of use of die's done on cards before, but it is the a) first time I have used the Quotable dies from Paper Smooches and b) the first time I have used this technique.

I picked out half a dozen colours in this weaved style and cut them all to 4 1/2 inches x 6 inches. I then decided to add a white one as well in case I wanted a sentiment to stand out.


I then laid my piece of card stock across the embossing plate (I have the genius platform that I use with my good old cuttlebug). This plate is well used but still has clear markings on it that I could use to place the die cuts and keep them straight.
 I didnt have enough of the Quotable dies to fill the whole panel and I didnt want to be removing  and having to place in different spots to cover the whole front of the cardstock so I added the die cut at the top that is like a fluffy cloud with a stitched border and this gives a nice finish for the top of the card.
I used washi tap first to hold the pieces individually in place then a long piece to really anchor them down. I usually have small pieces all torn off and resting on my cuttlebug ready for holding dies in place. So I worked out which way I wanted the quotable dies to face, alternating and fairly equally spaced.
If you have the Genius plates you know this is usually the top plate, I just flip over the bottom plate (which has the magnets in it), place on top of this configuration, flip it again and used a thin shim to put this through the cuttlebug. Cut perfectly each time.

I would flip over again and remove the top plate and just used my tweezers to help move the pieces out as I didnt want to be lifting the dies. Worked perfectly every time.


After I had finished die cutting I then sat down and decided on my colour mixes. I wanted to use up all the pieces so I have a few pre-made pieces now. 
I didnt do the colours in any particular order as I liked all the colours and didnt want to end up pulling my hair out trying to sort it out.
To begin with I placed each cut together in a pile so all the cloud layers were together then the next etc as it made it easier to work out what was what then. I did think towards the end I was going to have doubles of colours but because I had cut an odd number of colours it meant that there were some instances where one colour would be missing so I just had to do a bit of changing around to get them all correct.

I turned them upside down to join them up. and just used double sided tape (I was a bit heavy handed here) to hold them in place. Because of the quotable die 'V' I did find I needed a couple of pieces to ensure the join was tight.


All the joins are nice and tight and I did find there were slight variations in join ups as the card stock moved a bit. I probably should have taped the card itself in place once placed under the dies, but it didnt matter. I did a quick very small trim off each side to straighten them all up.

The end result being these neat quotable die cuts that you could put a word in each or a sentence in each. I did this one with just the one stamped sentiment.
 I did do another card with a collection of sentiments in each piece but I used my usual black ink and forgot it takes longer to dry on this type of cardstock, picked the card up to attach to my card front and commenced to smear the lot - one to be kept for example book.

I used the Misti to stamp all my sentiments, as again, this type of cardstock does not stamp well and everything needs to be stamped 2 to 4 times to get it sharp.

I have added this cute  as little puppy.  Coloured with copics, Glossy Accents on collar, tag and nose.


Added  the die cut panel flat to a white card base, could have used another colour if I wanted to add more to the card but I wanted the white there in this instance. Added a little enamel gem to each colour. 
and to all of you wonderful people who come and visit my blog
"You Are Amazing. Just Remember That'

You are very very appreciated.

Enter this with its wee bit of colouring into:




I think I have done this correct for this sketch. Used the sketch as my inspiration in the first place and lucky to just make it in. Having seen the inspiration last week I decided to try this die cutting technique.

Thank you for coming to visit and I hope you come again soon.


















7 comments:

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Aileen this is one fantastic post I love how you have done a picture tutorial using the dies, the finished card with the little doggy is brilliant
hugs
lorraine x

lostinpaper said...

Brilliant! Totally loving those bright inlaid die cut mega speech bubbles!

Kathy said...

Fun layout of fabulous colors. Love the dog!

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is so fun! I love how you made the stripes with the speech bubbles! Great take on the sketch!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous. Love the bright colours and the use of the dies. Thanks for sharing the photo tutorial.

TaeEun said...

Cute and colorful card, Aileen! Thanks for the photo tutorial! I don't have much dies, but when I see this kind of technique I think I should buy some...

Tanja said...

love this fab colorful background - thanks for joining us at ATSM