Translate

Tuesday 8 March 2016

'Thanks' butterfly card.


I am so pleased with how this card turned out but I'm not sure these photos are doing justice to it. Still away from home till tomorrow.

This was using the same die as I used about a week ago. Simon Says Butterfly die and 'thanks' is a Penny Black die. Loving this die, comes as 'thanks' and 'thank you'. the thank you are two separate words . Long and very slim line, cut perfectly each time.

The outline of the butterflies and the 'thanks' are both cut from a piece of watercolour paper that I coloured with a mix of pinkish Inktense pencils then I went over the light colouring with a paint brush that was wet. Kept going over till I was happy with the blending and now of course I have a collection of butterflies in this pink mix to use on another card.


This has all been done on a piece of dark grey cardstock so it really looks wonderful.
Something I have found with this cardstock too is that when attaching the die cuts a) they have a bit more trouble adhering due to the weave on the front of the cardstock but b) once the glue has dried it  will come off very easily with the glue stick remover without making any marks. (Just ignore that dot you can see near the 't' from the thanks it is since removed).

If you look carefully you can see I have used vellum butterflies this time. First I stamped a pretty flower stamp that I have from Hero Art. Its a background looking stamp but only small and was perfect for this. I actually had to die cut twice at different angles to get the full length. 

I also learnt that white embossing comes off when die cut so I had lots of little specks on my cutting board and on the dies. So I had a bit of cleaning up to do after, next time for something like that maybe I should put down a plain layer on top of the embossed piece to stop the flecks becoming hard to remove from the die.

Even though that happened it was worth it as they really look beautiful.

All the butterflies that have full wings are attached with glue just in the centre whereas the butterflies that are incomplete are fully attached to the card base.

I then glued on the 'thanks' sentiment and some sequins but I'm not happy with the sequins. I tried to make them random but its just not working for me. They are very pretty little ones in iridescent colours.


I started writing this this morning as I am baby sitting and it has taken me the best part of all day, ahh the joys of children. Now I know why our bodies say 'no more' after a particular time in life. Being 3 and 1 years respectively I am feeling every minute of today. How did I bring up all of mine, I have forgotten, I must have been wonder woman at some stage in my life lol. having the air conditioning not working today and extreme heat as though its the middle of summer not the start of autumn doesn't help.

Only 50 minutes till I start the drive home (not that 'Im counting okay!!). Yes this post took from 6am when I started and thought I will get in before the kids are up hahahaha till 3.21pm to finish it now. 

Ok now to enter a challenge or two:




Although I haven't stamped on the card I did stamp on the vellum that was die cut for the butterflies so hope this is ok.


I'm pretty sure butterflies hit the mark.

Thanks for coming to visit and I hope you come again soon.












14 comments:

brenda said...

Not surprised you are happy with this one Aileen, it's a real beauty and the small pattern of the stamp just perfect for the butterflies.

Many thanks for joining our Feature a Creature theme at Penny Black and More challenge this month.

B x

Sandy Trefger said...

Beautiful card! Love the "fluttering" butterflies! Yes, it is perfect for our Beautiful Butterflies challenge. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Cards in Envy.

TaeEun said...

Dark grey and pink together looks always pretty! The delicate vellum butterflies are beautiful, Aileen! We women are all wonder woman at some stage, I think:)! Happy women's day!

Anita in France said...

Oh this is so pretty, Aileen ... those delicate, floral, fluttery butterflies are gorgeous against the bold grey ... and fabulous with the slender pink outlines! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Anita :)

Ruth said...

This is gorgeous - I do love those vellum butterflies. It is hard crafting with little ones around - if Helen didn't sleep I'd have to give up this whole hobby. Sometimes a card takes me two days to make in 15 minute stages! They are worth it though :)

coldwaters2 said...

Gorgeous card Aileen love those butterflies they really stand out proud, the dies you have used look great
hugs
lorraine x

Kim Heggins said...

Aileen...you should be very proud, this is simply one fabulous card. I just love your sweet butterflies and they look amazing one that dark background.

Greta said...

Love your stamped butterflies, Aileen! This is a really gorgeous card! Bet you're going to relax when you get home!

Gerrina said...

Think I can imagene that the card looks even better IRL...Beautiful colourcombination! Thank you for taking the TIME OUT and join us!

Mervi said...

Lovely card!
Thank you for sharing at Penny Black and more;-))m

Joyce said...

This is a wonderful card. I love the look of those butterflies folded up. It gives them such a sense of motion. And, your die cut sentiment--so long and slender and perfect for this card. Thanks so much for playing along at Time Out.

Kathy S said...

Gorgeous. Love the colors you've chosen and how the outline and center of the die work so well to showcase your card. Thanks for entering this with us at Cards In Envy for our Butterflies challenge. Take care.

Anonymous said...

this is so pretty! i love the soft vellum butterflies and the dainty stamped image on them! thank you so much for playing along with us at penny black and more!
linda

Sybrina K said...

Aileen, What a pretty card! Love how you created those vellum butterflies, and your color combination is perfect. Thanks so much for joining us at Cards in Envy. :)