Translate

Sunday 20 March 2016

Happy Birthday and Faux Mother of Pearl


Before I go onto my 'Happy Birthday card I just wanted to show you this. If you looked at my post yesterday you saw the two cards I posted and know this is one. It was just that as I was walking from the lounge room through the dinning room I saw the sun was hitting this card and showing it up in such splender. Here you can see the purple sparkle on the stars but the photo still shows just how wonderful it is. Look at the stars near the edge of the dress, it looks like they continue off the dress, so cool.

Okay so now back to business : Faux Mother of Pearl technique.

Yes if I do one, I have to do a hundred, this is some of what entertained me this morning. Can tell I have the place to myself - wahoo and I love those brights and lights. 
There are so many combination to try and I still haven't tried them all. Certainly learnt as I went, my first cards I didnt pounce off on the mat enough so had big clumps that looked yuck when blended, binned. Then of course I had watched Lolls Youtube description but cant keep me still too long, paused the recording part way through, cause I had watched it before like months ago. 
Off to the carft room blend blend blend, mmmm sure theres another step.... ohh I know wipe with wet wipes....nah this is normal card stock so it warps when wet and just wasn't right. 
So again I sat and watched, this time to the end, sorry Loll, not your fault. Ahh we burnish with paper towel, perfect.

Now I liked this so much I decided I wanted to do Faux Gold (no its not a technique). I used gold acrylic paint and did the same as with the pearls. It looks fantastic. Next post I will show you a card using a panel, I love it.


Check out this card- same card, slight different angle. On the left it looks like there is hardly any pearl effect and a bald yellowy patch. One the right its a bit better. Just could not get a good shot,


Here you can see all the Faux Peal looking wonderful with the blue/green colours I have blended.

Here you can see that patch that on the first photo looks like its rubbed off and yellowed. Here its obvious its pale blue  and plenty of the faux pearl.


I finished the card off by die cutting the panel with stitched rectangle die, stamped 'Happy Birthday' Added a few little sparkly gems and a white lacy butterfly.

 If you notice that this card looks a wee bit skinnier than my usual cards that cause as I lifted card up to look at it and I managed to add some fingerprints, being my usual careful extremely tidy self, and had to do a little surgery on the card. Another lesson people, make sure you scrub your hands till they nearly bleed to get rid of excess ink all over your hands from blending. Lucky you have me to give you these life lessons you know.

Challenge to link to


This time without the topping, Birthday card only.





Hope you enjoyed your visit, and lesson on what not to do, and come again soon.










21 comments:

Loll said...

The dress really does looks amazing with the light shining on it. It looks like the stars are glowing. :)

Great job with the Faux Mother of Pearl. Looks like you've got a big stash of backgrounds ready to make into cards. :) Glad you were able to get the look you want in the end. Your butterfly card is so pretty.

Making mistakes is a good way of learning what not to do. :) I do that myself all the time. :) xx

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful.
Love your collection of faux pearl. The dress is just stunning with the light catching the bling :) Thanks for sharing another pic.

Mac Mable said...

Yes the stars do look like they are falling off the edge. Wow great stash of faux mother of pearl backgrounds, they look fabulous! The butterfly card is gorgeous, love the colour of the background against the pretty white die cut. Yep learning all the time too my end x

Darlene said...

WOW what a beautiful creation and look at all those gorgeous panels just waiting to be turned into cards. Thanks for the tips! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘DIES and/or PUNCHES’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS

Vickie Y said...

Beautiful card and technique. Thanks for the inspiration and thank you for sharing with us at The Sisterhood of Crafters.

Ashwini Rao said...

Oh, the dress looks so fabulous, I'd like to have a real one! :D Glad you got the technique right in the end - and so many panels of so many colors too - guess you won't have a lack of background panels in the near future! :D
Btw, you could submit the card to Addicted to CAS too - the theme 'delicate' suits your card perfectly - the butterfly looks awesome!

Lee Ann Barrett said...

You are right! I went back to your post yesterday to look at the dress; WOW! the sparkle in the sun is amazing! I love Julie Nutting dolls~

Cara said...

Wow, the card looks amazing in the sun and I thought it was stunning before. Looks like you had a great time playing with that technique and made some fab cards from it. We all know the perils of inky fingers! Cara x

Colleen said...

I can totally relate to this...I watched Loll's video several times too...she make sit look so easy and it turns out beautiful...I had some look not so great...but I too do have a stash sitting here that is just waiting for a card! Your dress is absolutely amazing, yes those stars look like they are coming off the dress!! LOVE IT!! Thank you for sharing this at Seize the Birthday!

Anita in France said...

Those stars really do shine, Aileen ... how fabulous! Loved reading about your faux MoP evolution ... do hope those fingers have recovered from all that scrubbing!! Your card is stunning ... such beautiful, subtle shimmer on the panel ... so perfect with that gorgeous delicate butterfly! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Happy Little Stampers! Anita :)

Neets B said...

Wow, you have been busy with your faux mother of pearl samples. Love the colour you chose for your card, looks lovely with the crisp white. Inky fingers are a nightmare aren't they, I've done the same thing on numerous occasions!
Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers, Anita x

Ruth said...

Nice job on the faux mother of pearl technique - something else on my list of things to try! And I've been there very much with the ink smudging and have many a time had to trim a card :) xx

TaeEun said...

Oh! the shining stars on the blue dress look amazing! And your panel with the faux mother of pearl too! Thank you for the life lesson, Aileen :)!

Sarn said...

Super post and LOVELY schparkly cards xxx

Joyce said...

Both cards are really lovely. And, with all those water color panels made, I'll expect to see lots more soon.

Glenda J said...

Absolutely stunning! Love everything about this gorgeous card. Thanks for playing along with Seize the Birthday.

Sand Lee said...

This is fab! Thanks so much for the tutorial! So glad you played along with us at The Sisterhood of Crafters Challenge Blog! Can't wait to see what you create next! xx

Kim Heggins said...

Wow...look at you go! So many wonderful faux mother of pearl panels and I know you will do amazing things with all of these. I love your first card too...your sweet little lady with that gorgeous dress, simply fabulous. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Happy Little Stampers.

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Its such a fun technique! Wow - you'll have a gazillion cards made in no time!

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

WOW!! You have quite a few panels there Aileen! They are always handy to hold on to for a QCAS card in a hurry! The two you used are just fabulous and beautifully CAS and yes, the stars on that dress really do jump right out . . . very cool! So pleased you joined us on HLS CAS challenge! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Chrissie said...

Your faux mother of pearl is such a fabulous colour and you have such a lot of fabulousness to work on for future projects.
Looks like you had great fun!
Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers' CAS challenge this time!
Chrissie