Translate

Monday 21 March 2016

Thanks Faux Mother of Pearl Orange & Gold


Check out this panel. I mentioned in my last post that I decided to try acrylic gold paint with the same technique for the Faux Mother of Pearl look. I used my 'Silks'  gold paints that are wonderful and creamy. I put a small amount on my craft mat then did the same technique as with the opal white. Pouncing with scrunched up glad wrap. It goes on so beautifully and as its gold colour you can see where its gone on so you don't over do it.
I blended with orange and yellow Distress Inks for this panel.


 In this instance I have used a Papertrey Inks die that I bought and have barely used. But love it here, its just perfect. 

This was a purchase I should have learnt from, read what size the die is so you know what your getting. I thought it looked wonderful, had seen it on a card but hadn't realised the card was a small one that made the die look bigger. I was expecting a panel that would be the main part of the front of the card. Not that they had misrepresented, it was my error not checking.

The piece that you die cut is the gold area, I cut twice, once with gold and once with the pearlised panel then I carefully kept all the itty bitty pieces so I could put them all into the cut sections cause I think it looks brilliant like that. Then of course I had to turn it over and tape all the pieces in place.


I have made this a smaller card so the panel can be the main feature, Also added the 'thanks' die from Penny Black which I just love. Its small and flows and looks so delicate and elegant.

  I needed something for the centre of my frame and tried butterflies big and small and miniature and then flowers. W
asn't working for me, then I used a flower die from Memory Box and the flower here is the small one on a two flower stem. I swapped it around by cutting off the main flower and adding the smaller flower again connected at the twisted stem that was already there. Used a small piece that was from one of the curves as a leaf . Its not perfect but I think it really works here.

 It was great to be able to use a die that I just had to have, from the day I saw it released, and yet have hardly used. 

I did learn a lesson from that, rather than buy on the impulse of one card seen, sometimes its worth waiting to see how many more ways it can be used.  How often do we get caught up in the fever of a release (and I have done that even more with stamps) yet when we got it we cant seem to see beyond whats in front of us?
 How many times have you taken out a stamp or a die and typed it into Image Google to see what others are doing with it to find that other than the release time very little is available? 

What I do love to see is companies that spend time also going back over their older stock getting their Design Teams to highlight these items as well. Also like when I can go to a company and see plenty of samples. A pet hate is going to some companies and finding their samples are so small you can barely see them but lets not get onto that subject..


Okay lets link it up




Thanks so much for coming to visit and I hope you come again soon.












16 comments:

Ashwini Rao said...

Stunning! The orange and gold make such an incredible combination!! Just spectacular!

Loll said...

AMAZING!! Gorgeous design ... your gold flower looks like it was made specifically to fit into that gorgeous frame. LOVE the gold faux mother of pearl with orange and yellow. Such rich colours. Great job Aileen! xx

Cara said...

What a stunning background effect, it sets off the flower and frame perfectly, even if it was a labour of love piecing it all together. You're right it's so hard to gauge the size of things from the Internet and not every retailer gives the dimensions. Cara x

Mac Mable said...

Enjoyed reading your post and yes agree with buying something and it coming not quite as expected and at the end of the day it's my fault! Your card today is fabulous. A real stand out card (even if it's small lol) x The colours and the gold idea is fantastic, will give that one a go. Thank you for sharing x

Sarn said...

GORGEOUS colouring with the gold. Beautiful. Yes, it's easy to get caught up in the "I wants" when new stuff becomes available isn't it?!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

What a fabulous creation this is Aileen! All that gorgeous gold, sparkling away . . . great job on photographing that too BTW . . . not easy! This card screams class, with all that gorgeous gold, yet, as it is a small panel on a larger white card it manages to remain CAS! I am also with you about seeing something being used when it is released, ordering it on impulse and then it just sits unused . . . I am also always making the same mistake 'size wise', I have a box of dies, stamps, stencils etc., that are either too big, or too small for my needs!! Off now to source that PB Thanks die!! Have a lovely week! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Ruth said...

This is beautiful! I love the orange and it works so well with the gold. I am totally with you on buying things and not doing enough research. I get totally sucked into the releases sometimes. It's been nice not buying anything for 6 weeks and realising the stamp sets and other things I do want to buy - a lot starts on the wish list, and only a few stay on it! Xx

BożenA said...

Wow! Remarkable card. Beautiful background and wonderful effect faux mather of pearl. Wonderful inspiration.
hugs,
BozenA

Claudia's kaartjes said...

Stunning card.

Thanks for joining us at Create and Inspire.

hugs
Claudia
DT Create and Inspire

Vicki Dutcher said...

Stunning! That gold with the orange is so striking - well done!

coldwaters2 said...

This card is a real beauty Aileen the colours really stand out it looks so classy
hugs
lorraine x

Kylie said...

The orange and gold is stunning! Wonderful use of the faux mother of pearl. Thanks so much for playing along at Happy Little Stampers xx

Bhavana said...

the colors look stunning. great design. Thanks for joining us at ATCAS!!

Anita in France said...

WOW! Aileen, what a gorgeous faux MoP panel ... the rich, luscious oranges and yellows are stunning with the lustre of the gold ... so striking! Thanks so much for playing along with us again at HLS! Anita :)

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Love all the shine and sparkle!

anja curvers said...

Wow this is stunning love the orange with gold combo. Thanks for joining us over at ATCAS.